Of course, everyone has heard of the “Rodeo Drive” of Palm Beach — Worth Avenue. However, missing Royal Poinciana Way will be a huge disappointment. This is the original Main Street and where Palm Beach culture began. With historic landmarks, fantastic restaurants, and lovely shops, this is an street you shouldn’t miss!
Rent bicycles from the Palm Beach Bike & Trail and take a guided tour of the island. Indulge at Salon W with an array of soothing treatments — or head to the Breaker’s Spa to enjoy a oceanfront massage and facial. Shop at Joy of Palm Beach, Mildred Hoit, Evelyn & Arthur, or Envy of Palm Beach for classic and contemporary Palm Beach attire — or keep the kids “Palm Beach preppy” at L’il Rapunzels and Petit Pastel. Each store also offers unique accessories and gifts.
With more outdoor seating, ‘people watching’ at the Royal Poinciana restaurants is loads of fun — many Palm Beachers’ bring their fluffy pooches with exceptional table manners to dine with them. Cucina Dell’Arte and Nick & Johnnies both offer eclectic menus with traditional or modern fares, and they are both great nightspots. Testa’s, a Palm Beach tradition, this famous restaurant has been owned and operated by the same family since 1921. It began as a soda bar, and has thrived for ninety years as a part of Palm Beach culture. All three restaurants serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner year round.
The historic Paramount Theatre Building ran as the Palm Beach movie theater from 1927 until 1980. After numerous attempts to demolish the building, it was designated a Palm Beach town landmark in 1982. Now, it is home to thirty tenants including art galleries, clothing & jewelry stores, and offices – including nine non-profit organizations. You will see classic movie posters and historic photographs.
Whitehall, the Palm Beach home of Henry Flagler from 1902-1913; it was a wedding gift to his wife Mary Lily Kenan Flagler. It was described by the New York Herald as “More wonderful than any palace in Europe, grander and more magnificent than any other private dwelling in the world…” The home was planned to be demolished in 1959, and the granddaughter of Mr. Flagler formed a non-profit – the Henry Morrison Flagler Museum to purchase the property. It was first opened to the public in February 1960. Today, nearly 100,000 people from around the world visit the Flagler Museum each year.